November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013 - Day 300

Today marks 300 days out with 205 left!

Well things here are going better.  We had Stake Conference this weekend to which President and Sister Gelwix came. She gave me a good hug, but her hug wasn't as great as your hug mom, but I guess it does for the time I'm away.  Can't wait till I get a nice hug from all of you!!!!!!

So more info on Hna Odor.  She is from Aruba!!! (yes I sing the Beach Boy song too whenever I say it).  She has been out 13 months.  She speaks 4 languages; Papiamento, Dutch, Spanish, and English thankfully.  It'll be nice having her help me with my Spanish.  We had dinner with a new family in the ward last night and they said they are going to help me with it too.  Ha ha..  Hna Odor says I know a lot but need to just be confident in what I say and say it.  So nerve wracking.

I hope your new calling mom is one you love and will grow in.  I know you did a wonderful job as Relief Society president.  You're an amazing woman with an incredible gift of love.  There are a lot of things I've seen in my life here that I know I couldn't do without your example.  You are a great role model.  All of you are!  I think that's what kills me the most about being away, because these families here don't have that love and respect for each other and it hurts.  I just want all of us to be together and show those around us what a family truly can be like.  I love you all and am SO blessed to have you in my life.  Yay for eternity!!!!!!!!!!

 It's still pretty warm here.  Day time is in the 80's and the evenings are cool in the 40-50's.  Definitely cold enough to wear my coat.  The leaves don't change here so I miss that.  It doesn't feel like Novemeber.  It still looks like July.

Well, we're trying to get things up and going which is rough.  The Elders left no record on who they have been teaching for the past few months.  So we are literally starting off where I left off!  Gurrr... It's sad but nice when the members tell us "Ohh yay we have you back!  It was awful having those 3 boys here."  One member asked what our number was and we said it's the one the Elders had, and he said, "ohh I deleted that long time ago".  The Lagunas family (Anthony Lagunas that we baptized in July) told us they stopped going to church because they didn't like the Elders.  We have been getting a LOT of that these last couple days.  So I'm glad we are finally here to help mend hearts and get things back up and going and for them to love missionaries again.  

Our Stake conference was on Hastening the work.  I hope the members here help us and start doing missionary work themselves.  We missionaries really can't do it with out them.  We are starting to help families with a family mission plan.  How are all of your missionary efforts?  Hopefully you don't get too stressed with it.  It can simply be putting up a quote or video from the church on Facebook, in a text, email, etc.  Mentioning what you did during the weekend like going to church.  A sister in conference that spoke counted all the church activities that just her ward alone had where they could have invited someone.  56!  Wow.  Hopefully now with the Christmas season coming up, it will be easier for all of us to mention our beliefs and church in conversation.

Life is hard, but it's worth it.  I've realized a lot this week that God knows more than we do.  There have been a lot of sweet people this week that have helped me overcome my struggles and help comfort me.  I don't know what my future holds and why I've been asked to do and learn certain things, but someday I will know.  I just need to trust in the Lord more.  And as Sister Gelwix told me yesterday, when I'm low, remember "I think I can...I think I can...I think I can.." and before you know it you've made it.  

I love you all and hope things go well for you this week.  Hopefully you have a fun holiday today!  What are your plans for Thanksgiving?!  I will talk to Sister Fairbanks and ask her.  I can give her your email and/or number so she can tell you instead of being the middle man.  Good luck with it!  I hope it can help!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Hna Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment